An historic hotel in the centre of Crewkerne has re-opened its main bar and restaurant with new management. The ground floor areas at the George Hotel were closed on September 25th and have undergone refurbishments during the last eight weeks. One of the main features in the bar’s lounge area is a wall collection of clocks, a particular interest of the hotel’s owner. Period furniture and furnishings have been added to the rooms which have been re-decorated and re-carpeted. Many pictures of dogs dressed in costume can be seen on the walls, in addition to another feature wall designed to re-create a study area with book wallpaper.
The landmark hotel which dates back to around 1832 and was once a coaching inn for Royal Mail with a stable yard at the rear of the building, was bought by South Coast Inns at the beginning of January this year. While the refurbishment of the main bar and restaurant were taking place, the Alehouse bar formerly known as Lamplighters remained open to customers. The hotel’s new managers who took over the running of the establishment at the beginning of November are Rachel Palin and Stephen Campbell. Rachel and Stephen are looking forward to meeting the local community and welcoming customers to see the transformation that has recently taken place at the hotel.