Members of Crewkerne & District U3A rambling group enjoyed a four mile walk to Donyatt Halt. Donyatt Halt is on the old railway line that used to run between Taunton and Chard. Part of the now defunct line has been adapted as a popular walking and cycle path. Work on the restoration of the Halt was completed in 2009, including the old station sign, platform and wooden hut. Although the Taunton to Chard line opened in 1866, trains didn’t stop at Donyatt until 62 years later when the Halt was opened. In the photograph of the Crewkerne U3A ramblers at the Halt, is a statue of a girl called Doreen who was evacuated to Donyatt during the Second World War. Also visible in the background are part of the second world war defences, erected along the railway line in case of invasion. After their historic walk, the ramblers enjoyed lunch at the George Inn in Donyatt before returning home.