A cheque for £11,145.00 was presented to Southampton Hospital Charity in memory of Naomi Haskell who passed away on March 23rd this year, aged 24 years after contracting meningococcal septicaemia. Naomi who went to school in Crewkerne before attending Yeovil College and undertaking her apprenticeship in professional cookery at the George Hotel, lived in Crewkerne for 18 years before moving to Mosterton.
Naomi’s illness struck out of the blue, beginning with a sore throat and progressing rapidly to being unresponsive 24 hours later. She was transferred from Dorchester to Southampton Hospital where despite receiving excellent care in the Neuro Intensive Care Unit, sadly lost her fight. Her mother Paula Edwards, father Philip Haskell and her partner Brett Venn had to make an agonising decision but in consenting to Naomi’s healthy organs being donated to others in need, she saved the lives of three people.
Paula and the family have been raising awareness of meningitis and septicaemia and fundraising for www.meningitis.org and www.southamptonhospitalcharity.org
Fundraising events for the Neuro ICU at Southampton Hospital included an auction at the Admiral Hood in Mosterton where Naomi worked as a professional cook. The auction raised £6,000 and a sponsored head shave on Sue Taylor carried out by Jeanette Snook raised nearly a £1,000. The remainder of the money came from the sale of unsold auction items by Naomi’s father Philip and generous donations from customers over the bar at the Mosterton pub.
On Friday evening, Judith Stephens, the hospital’s Community & Events Fundraising Manager travelled from Southampton to Mosterton to receive the cheque for the charity. Naomi’s mum Paula Edwards said: “A big thank you to everyone who helped to raise £11,145.00 for the Southampton Hospital Charity. Special thanks to the villagers of Mosterton and the landlady Kath Kersley at the Admiral Hood, you have all been incredible.”
Meningitis and Septicaemia are serious life threatening illnesses of which Paula is determined to raise more awareness, in memory of her beloved daughter and in the hope that no other parent has to go through such a devastating loss and that with more funds raised for research, a cure for all who contract it can be found.