Members of a Crewkerne photography group visited East Chinnock church, to take pictures of the stained glass windows, donated by a former prisoner of war. All but one of the windows in St Mary’s, together with an Agnus Dei glass screen, were made, donated and installed by Gunther Anton between 1962 and 1988, to say thank you for the kindness he received from villagers.
A rear gunner in the Luftwaffe, Gunther was shot down over Southampton in 1944. He returned to Germany in 1948 but always remembered the time he lived and worked on a local farm and prayed at the church. Gunther used his skills and resources of the glazier business, he built up with his father, to repay the debt he felt he owed to the people of East Chinnock. Members of Photography Group 1, part of Crewkerne & District U3A, met fellow U3A member Neville Coe who fondly remembers Gunther, who died six months after the windows were dedicated in 1989. Gunther’s story and his wonderful gift to the church are commemorated in a film made in 2015 by the Anoraks.